Does enc28j60 spi-ethernet driver work in ARM inux 2.6.39.4?

cytan299 at netzero.net cytan299 at netzero.net
Mon Jan 23 09:32:21 EST 2012

I wired up the enc28j60 to my ARM board using the instructions from here: http://www.elinux.org/Hammer_How_to_Enc28j60

However, when I enable the enc28j60 driver and load it, ifconfig just doesn't see the enc28j60:
# lsmod
enc28j60               13352  0
unix                   16952  8
# ifconfig -a
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Looking at modinfo:
 # modinfo enc28j60
filename:       kernel/drivers/net/enc28j60.ko
author:         Claudio Lanconelli <lanconelli.claudio at eptar.com>
license:        GPL
vermagic:       2.6.39.4 mod_unload ARMv4
parm:           debug:Debug verbosity level (0=none, ..., ffff=all)
depends:

I don't see any configuration options for spi or irq. How does the driver know how the enc28j60 is wired?

My question is whether the enc28j60 is really supported by Linux on the ARM? If so, how do I get it working.

Thanks for any help or info.

cytan