Question About Linux Memory Mapping

hong zhang henryzhang62 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 21 00:27:57 EST 2011

Drasko,

Command line can assign all physical memory or partial memory to kernel using one or few mem=. For example, if you have 1 GBytes memory with starting port at 0x80000000, and want to reserve 512M anywhere between 0x80000000 and 0xc0000000 saying at 0x90000000. Then command line should be
mem=256M at 0x80000000 mem=256M at 0xb0000000. At this format, kernel should not touch memory between 0x9000000 and 0xb0000000 and the memory can be used by other OS or firmware.

This is my understanding.

---henry