Viewing page tables and some other questions regarding the MMU

Leo Barnes barnes.leo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 03:03:22 EDT 2010

> The MMU does not have to be disabled. To manage the page tables, the
> tables themselves must be mapped at some virtual address. In ARM
> Linux, this is already done, and you can access the page table entry
> for addr by doing something like this:
>
>        pgd_t *pgd;
>        pud_t *pud;
>        pmd_t *pmd;
>        pte_t *pte;
>
>        pgd = pgd_offset(mm, addr);
>        pud = pud_alloc(mm, pgd, addr);
>        if (!pud) {
>                printk(KERN_ERR "Could not alloc pud!\n");
>                return NULL;
>        }
>        pmd = pmd_alloc(mm, pud, addr);
>        if (!pmd) {
>                printk(KERN_ERR "Could not alloc pmd!\n");
>                return NULL;
>        }
>
>        pte = pte_alloc_map(mm, pmd, addr);
>        if (!pte) {
>                printk(KERN_ERR "Could not alloc pte!\n");
>                return NULL;
>        }

Thanks, this looks useful. Which headers does this code rely on? I
assume linux/mm.h, but anything else? Is the mm argument for the
functions used a global variable or something I have to create (and if
so, how to create it? the mm_struct is pretty damn large and filled
with fields that I know very little about)?

Best regards,
//Leo