Toolchain for building netbook pro kernel

edward.robbins at oxfordtechnologies.co.uk edward.robbins at oxfordtechnologies.co.uk
Thu Nov 4 04:58:03 EDT 2010

Hi,

I am about to embark on updating the psion netbook pro kernel patch (the last working version of which is currently stuck at 2.6.9). I believe this is pre-armel. Before I begin setting up a toolchain to find that it does not work, I was hoping that someone could explain whether or not it is possible to build a 2.6.9 kernel with the emdebian cross toolchain for armel (on debian 5) at all?

I seem to recall that at some point it wasn't possible to build with a newer version of gcc than 2.95 (though this was last time I did this, for a psion 5mx and kernel 2.4.something). And I also have a (possibly totally incorrect) idea that the kernel wont work with armel until somewhere around version 2.6.16.

So maybe I will need a separate toolchain and libc, and at some point during the forward porting will have to switch to an newer armel toolchain and newer version of libc?

Apologies if I am asking a stupid question, or if this question is more suited to some debian or emdebian mailing list.

Thanks,

Edward

PS: You are probably aware, but just in case: The mailing list info on the main arm linux website erroneously points to the old mailing list.