Potential bug of arm64 SMCCC call

Mark Rutland mark.rutland at arm.com
Mon Mar 25 10:00:47 PDT 2024

On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 01:36:37PM +0000, 崇文 李 wrote:
> Hello. I saw a potential bug when I was checking arm64 SMCCC call.

Hi,

> In arm-smccc.h [see link 0], from line 481 to line 497 resides the
> definition of "__arm_smccc_1_1", which is in turn used to implement
> the RMI interface in rmi_cmds.h [see link 1].
>
> In the definition of "__arm_smccc_1_1", there is no clobbering of
> registers x4 -- x17.  However, according to Arm SMC Calling Convention
> [see link 2, page 10 of 19], registers x4 -- x17 are scratch registers.
> Upon returning from an arm64 smc instruction, x4 -- x17 registers may
> be overwritten with mysterious values from the firmware.

I think you're looking at a very old version of the SMCCC specification. The
__arm_smccc_1_1 helper is only intended to be used for SMCCCv1.1+, which is
newer than the specification that you link to below.

Please see a more recent version, e.g. ARM DEN 0028F:

  https://developer.arm.com/documentation/den0028/f/?lang=en

If you look in "13 Appendix F: Changelog", you'll see the key change in
SMCCCv1.1:

| Result register set:
| Mandates preservation of registers X4—X17 across a SMC or HVC call.

... and this is described earlier in the document.

> So it is safer to mark x4--x17 registers as clobbered registers in the
> "asm" statement inside the definition of "__arm_smccc_1_1", so the
> compiler avoids using x4--x17 registers around arm64 smc instructions.

As above, this should not be necessary. These SMCCC invocation functions should
only be used with SMCCCv1.1+ compliant firmware, and in those cases x4-x17 are
preserved.

Note that specific SMCCC calls imply that the SMCCC version is 1.1 or later.

Thanks,
Mark