[RFC 0/9] PCI: introduce the concept of power sequencing of PCIe devices

Florian Fainelli f.fainelli at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 20:08:33 PST 2024

Hello,

On 1/4/2024 5:01 AM, Bartosz Golaszewski wrote:
> From: Bartosz Golaszewski <bartosz.golaszewski at linaro.org>
>
> During last year's Linux Plumbers we had several discussions centered
> around the need to power-on PCI devices before they can be detected on
> the bus.
>
> The consensus during the conference was that we need to introduce a
> class of "PCI slot drivers" that would handle the power-sequencing.
>
> After some additional brain-storming with Manivannan and the realization
> that the DT maintainers won't like adding any "fake" nodes not
> representing actual devices, we decided to reuse the existing
> infrastructure provided by the PCIe port drivers.
>
> The general idea is to instantiate platform devices for child nodes of
> the PCIe port DT node. For those nodes for which a power-sequencing
> driver exists, we bind it and let it probe. The driver then triggers a
> rescan of the PCI bus with the aim of detecting the now powered-on
> device. The device will consume the same DT node as the platform,
> power-sequencing device. We use device links to make the latter become
> the parent of the former.
>
> The main advantage of this approach is not modifying the existing DT in
> any way and especially not adding any "fake" platform devices.

There is prior work in that area which was applied, but eventually reverted:

https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-pci/msg119136.html

and finally re-applied albeit in a different shape:

https://lore.kernel.org/all/20220716222454.29914-1-jim2101024@gmail.com/

so we might want to think about how to have pcie-brcmstb.c converted
over your proposed approach. AFAIR there is also pcie-rockchip.c which
has some rudimentary support for voltage regulators of PCIe end-points.

What does not yet appear in this RFC is support for suspend/resume,
especially for power states where both the RC and the EP might be losing
power. There also needs to be some thoughts given to wake-up enabled
PCIe devices like Wi-Fi which might need to remain powered on to service
Wake-on-WLAN frames if nothing else.

I sense a potential for a lot of custom power sequencing drivers being
added and ultimately leading to the decision to create a "generic" one
which is entirely driven by Device Tree properties...

Thanks for doing this!
--
Florian