regression: insmod module failed in VM with nvdimm on #forregzbot

Linux regression tracking #update (Thorsten Leemhuis) regressions at leemhuis.info
Fri Mar 3 01:42:42 PST 2023

[TLDR: This mail in primarily relevant for Linux regression tracking. A
change or fix related to the regression discussed in this thread was
posted or applied, but it did not use a Link: tag to point to the
report, as Linus and the documentation call for. Things happen, no
worries -- but now the regression tracking bot needs to be told manually
about the fix. See link in footer if these mails annoy you.]

On 30.11.22 11:10, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> On 30.11.22 03:52, chenxiang (M) wrote:
>>
>> We boot the VM using following commands (with nvdimm on)  (qemu version
>> 6.1.50, kernel 6.0-r4):
>>
>> qemu-system-aarch64 -machine
>> virt,kernel_irqchip=on,gic-version=3,nvdimm=on  -kernel
>> /home/kernel/Image -initrd /home/mini-rootfs/rootfs.cpio.gz -bios
>> /root/QEMU_EFI.FD -cpu host -enable-kvm -net none -nographic -m
>> 2G,maxmem=64G,slots=3 -smp 4 -append 'rdinit=init console=ttyAMA0
>> ealycon=pl0ll,0x90000000 pcie_ports=native pciehp.pciehp_debug=1'
>> -object memory-backend-ram,id=ram1,size=10G -device
>> nvdimm,id=dimm1,memdev=ram1  -device ioh3420,id=root_port1,chassis=1
>> -device vfio-pci,host=7d:01.0,id=net0,bus=root_port1
>> [...]
>> We git bisect the code, and find the patch c5a89f75d2a ("arm64: kaslr:
>> defer initialization to initcall where permitted").
>
> Thanks for the report. To be sure below issue doesn't fall through the
> cracks unnoticed, I'm adding it to regzbot, my Linux kernel regression
> tracking bot:
>
> #regzbot ^introduced fc5a89f75d2a
> #regzbot title arm64: kaslr: vmalloc error when boothing a VM with nvdimm
> #regzbot ignore-activity

#regzbot fix: arm64: kaslr: don't pretend KASLR is enabled if offset <
MIN_KIMG_ALIGN
#regzbot ignore-activity

Backstory:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CAMj1kXGWEaQXoKj=DzG9XpVGi4t5zfE-RSG0BodVL-b47nsj-A@mail.gmail.com/
https://lore.kernel.org/all/20230223204101.1500373-1-ardb@kernel.org/

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr
That page also explains what to do if mails like this annoy you.