Regression: serial: imx: overrun errors on debug UART

Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis) regressions at leemhuis.info
Wed Jun 21 06:42:13 PDT 2023

On 21.06.23 08:23, Stefan Wahren wrote:
> Am 20.06.23 um 16:47 schrieb Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis):

>>> I don't think that we can exclude the serial console as a whole, i never
>>> made such a observation. But at least we can exclude kernel logging on
>>> the debug UART.
>>
>> Stefan, just wondering: was this ever addressed upstream? I assume it's
>> not, just wanted to be sure.
>>
>> I'm a bit unsure what to do with this and consider asking Greg for
>> advice, as he applied the patch. On one hand it's *IMHO* clearly a
>> regression (but for the record,  some people involved in the discussion
>> claim it's not). OTOH the culprit was applied more than a year ago now,
>> so reverting it might cause more trouble than it's worth at this point,
>> as that could lead to regressions for other users.
>
> thanks for tracking this issue, but in my opinion the discussion goes in
> circles. So i don't see a point in reanimating this again.  [...]

Yup. Sadly. I don't think Linus would agree with the "this is not a
regression" claim from various people here. But well, due to your
statement, Gregs mail from earlier today, and the fact that reverting
the culprit at this point might lead to regression that would hit more
people, I agree:

#regzbot inconclusive: unresolved, but stuck, and revert likely a bad
option - and reporter is fine with not perusing this further

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr
If I did something stupid, please tell me, as explained on that page.