Regression: serial: imx: overrun errors on debug UART

Uwe Kleine-König u.kleine-koenig at pengutronix.de
Tue Jun 20 12:27:48 PDT 2023

Hello Greg,

On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 04:59:18PM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 04:47:10PM +0200, Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis) wrote:

> > > I don't think that we can exclude the serial console as a whole, i never
> > > made such a observation. But at least we can exclude kernel logging on
> > > the debug UART.
> >
> > Stefan, just wondering: was this ever addressed upstream? I assume it's
> > not, just wanted to be sure.
> >
> > I'm a bit unsure what to do with this and consider asking Greg for
> > advice, as he applied the patch. On one hand it's *IMHO* clearly a
> > regression (but for the record,  some people involved in the discussion
> > claim it's not). OTOH the culprit was applied more than a year ago now,
> > so reverting it might cause more trouble than it's worth at this point,
> > as that could lead to regressions for other users.
>
> I'll be glad to revert this, but for some reason I thought that someone
> was working on a "real fix" here.  Stefan, is that not the case?

Sergey Organov already said something similar, but not very explicit:
With the current understanding reverting said commit is wrong. It is
expected that the commit increases irq latency for imx-serial a bit for
the benefit of less interrupts and so serves the overall system
performance. That this poses a problem only means that on the reporter's
machine there is already an issue that results in a longer period with
disabled irqs. While reverting the imx-serial commit would (maybe) solve
that, the actual problem is the other issue that disables preemption for
a longer timespan.

So TL;DR: Please don't revert the imx-serial patch.

Best regards
Uwe

Industrial Linux Solutions                 | https://www.pengutronix.de/ |