[RFC 0/6] pcmcia: separate 16-bit support from cardbus

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Tue Feb 28 17:13:48 PST 2023

On 2/28/23 02:37, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> My intention was to keep Cardbus support working with old defconfig files,
> and I've not moved CONFIG_CARDBUS into a separate submenu between
> CONFIG_PCI_HOTPLUG and CONFIG_PCI_CONTROLLER but left the driver in
> drivers/pci/hotplug. I think that's the best compromise here, but maybe
> the PCI maintainers have a better idea.

Arnd,

I did a bit more investigation. My original .config had CONFIG_PCI_HOTPLUG not
defined, but did have CONFIG_CARDBUS and the various yenta modules turned on.
With your changes, the CONFIG_PCI_HOTPLUG overrode CARDBUS.

I thought mine was a corner case, but now I am not sure. As stated above, the
Debian 12 factory configuration for ppc32 does not turn on PCI hotplug, but the
x86_64 configuration for openSUSE Tumbleweed does. The x86_64 configuration in
Fedora 37 does not contain CONFIG_PCI_HOTPLUG, but does have CARDBUS set.

It seems that several distros may get the wrong result with this change,

Larry