[RFC 0/6] pcmcia: separate 16-bit support from cardbus

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Mon Feb 27 19:57:24 PST 2023

On 2/27/23 15:30, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2023, at 22:09, Larry Finger wrote:
>> On 2/27/23 14:38, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>>> Is this the Cardbus or the PCMCIA version of the BCM4306 device? As far
>>> as I understand this particular chip can be wired up either way inside
>>> of the card, and the PowerBook G4 supports both types of devices.
>>>
>>> If it's the PCMCIA version, then dropping support for it was the idea
>>> of the patch series that we can debate, but if it was the Cardbus version
>>> that broke, then this was likely a bug I introduced by accident.
>>
>> The BCM4306 is internal, and wired directly to the PCI bus. My understanding is
>> that the BCM4318 is a cardbus device. It definitely shows up in an lspci scan.
>
> Ah right, I got confused because I had googled for BCM4306 for too long
> trying to find out whether that might be used in combination with the
> BCM63xx SoC support that patch 1 removed.
>
> BCM4318 should definitely keep working after my series. My best guess
> is that the problem is that I introduced an unnecessary dependency
> between CONFIG_CARDBUS and CONFIG_PCI_HOTPLUG, so you'd need to
> either undo the dependency or enable both in the local config.
>
> If it's not that, then it's a bug in my changes that needs to be
> fixed before they can be considered for integration. As long as
> we are still debating whether the series makes sense at all,
> I'm not worried about this.

Arnd,

It was a configuration problem. In the .config obtained by installing your
patches, and doing a make, CONFIG_CARDBUS was not mentioned, and
CONFIG_PCI_HOTPLUG was not selected. When I deleted the reference to the latter,
did a make, and set ..._HOTPLUG, I got CONFIG+CARDBUS set to "m", and the yenta
modules were built. This version sees the BCM4318 in the lspci scan, and the
interface works. Your patches are OK.

I am not sure how to warn people about the configuration change possible
breaking things.

Larry