[RFC 0/6] pcmcia: separate 16-bit support from cardbus

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Mon Feb 27 12:38:54 PST 2023

On Mon, Feb 27, 2023, at 21:23, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 2/27/23 07:34, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> Your patch set also breaks my PowerBook G4. The output of 'lspci -nn | grep
> Network' shows the following before your patch is applied:
>
> 0001:10:12.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM4306
> 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4320] (rev 03)
> 0001:11:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM4318
> [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4318] (rev 02)
>
> The first of these is broken and built into the laptop. The second is plugged
> into a PCMCIA slot, and uses yenta-socket as a driver.
>
> When your patches are applied, the second entry vanishes.
>
> Yes, this hardware is ancient, but I would prefer having this wifi interface
> work. I can provide any output you need.

Is this the Cardbus or the PCMCIA version of the BCM4306 device? As far
as I understand this particular chip can be wired up either way inside
of the card, and the PowerBook G4 supports both types of devices.

If it's the PCMCIA version, then dropping support for it was the idea
of the patch series that we can debate, but if it was the Cardbus version
that broke, then this was likely a bug I introduced by accident.

      Arnd