[GIT PULL] Qualcomm driver updates for v6.3

Leo Yan leo.yan at linaro.org
Wed Feb 22 04:13:59 PST 2023

Hi Souradeep,

On Wed, Feb 22, 2023 at 04:46:07PM +0530, Souradeep Chowdhury wrote:
> On 2/22/2023 7:13 AM, Leo Yan wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 04:05:36PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

[...]

> > > If the possible use is purely for saving some state across
> > > a reboot, as opposed to other events, I wonder if there is
> > > a good way to integrate it into the fs/pstore/ code, which
> > > already has a way to multiplex various kinds of input (log
> > > buffer, ftrace call chain, userspace strings, ...) into
> > > various kinds of persistent buffers (sram, blockdev, mtd,
> > > efivars, ...) with the purpose of helping analyze the
> > > state after a reboot.
> >
> > Good point!
> >
> > I understand pstore/ramoops is somehow like a sink which routes the
> > tracing data (software tracing data but not hadware tracing data) to
> > persistent memory.  This is why we also can route these software
> > tracing data to STM (hardware sink!).
> >
> > Seems to me, Arnd suggests to connect two sinks between DCC and
> > pstore (to persistent memory).  But I cannot give an example code in
> > kernel for doing this way, sorry if I miss something.
> >
> > Essentially, a good user case is to keep a persistent memory for the
> > tracing data, then after rebooting cycle we can retrieve the tracing
> > data via user space interface (like sysfs node).
>
> Hi Leo/Arnd,
>
> Just wanted to let you know that the justification of not using PStore was
> already given in the version 1 of this patch series as below
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-arm-msm/ab30490c016f906fd9bc5d789198530b@codeaurora.org/#r
>
> PStore/Ramoops only persists across warm-reboots which is present for chrome
> devices but not for android ones.

Thanks for the info.  Just remind a subtle difference of reboots.

Besides warm reboot, kernel can reboot system after panic (see kernel
command line option `panic`) and watchdog can reboot the system as well.

Even though Android doesn't support warm reboot, system still can reboot
on panic or by watchdog (in particular after bus lockup), pstore/ramoops
also can support these cases.

> Also the dcc_sram contents can
> also be collected by going for a software trigger after loading the kernel
> and the dcc_sram is parsed to get the register values with the
> opensource parser as below
>
> https://source.codeaurora.org/quic/la/platform/vendor/qcom-opensource/tools/tree/dcc_parser

To be clear, current driver is fine for me (TBH, I didn't spend much
time to read it but it's very neat after quickly went through it), I
just share some info in case it's helpful for the discussion.

Thanks,
Leo