SR-IOV on ARM64 system with SMMU

Martin Bayern martinbayern at outlook.com
Fri Feb 17 07:42:12 PST 2023

Hello,

Recently I faced the challenge of enabling SR-IOV on an ARM based
system, PCIe devices have SR-IOV capability, I enabled it and created
its VF, "lspci -nn" can also list these PF and VF PCIe nodes, but the
command  'virsh nodedev-list' lists no PCIe node devices, and the
hypervisor cannot detach the VF from the host, attaches to the virtual
machine. I checked many blogs and papers, it seems that for ARM-based
systems, we should use VFIO-PCI or pci-stub module,I tried these commands:

sudo modprobe -v vfio-pci
sudo modprobe -r vfio_iommu_type1
sudo modprobe -v vfio_iommu_type1 allow_unsafe_interrupts=1

After that, the problem persists, do you know what else I should check and enable? Does this require ARM64 chipset support SR-IOV? If yes, how can I check if the CPU supports it?

thanks,
Martin