s2idle breaks on machines without cpuidle support

Kazuki kazukih0205 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 06:43:27 PST 2023

On Wed, Feb 08, 2023 at 02:16:58PM +0000, Sudeep Holla wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2023 at 08:20:31PM +0900, Kazuki wrote:

> > > Yes expected IIUC. The per-cpu timers and counters continue to tick in
> > > WFI and hence CLOCK_MONOTONIC can't stop.
> > Yes, but it shouldn't be the case when suspending[1]. Currently that's what
> > happens when we enter s2idle without a cpuidle driver. This doesn't seem
> > to happen with S3 sleep [2].
> >

> Correct, but check the requirements to use syscore operations(mainly
> syscore_suspend/resume where only one CPU is online with interrupts
> disabled. In case of s2idle, all CPUs are idling and not offlined as
> required by the syscore operations and hence it can't be used.
>
> I was about ask you earlier as why can't you implement just system
> suspend in PSCI where the last cpu just calls WFI if you are interested
> in system sleep state. Or you can implement CPU_SUSPEND with an additional
> retention state which enters PSCI implementation just to make sure there is
> an active cpuidle driver and the s2idle state machinery works as expected.
The machine I have (Macbook with Apple M1) doesn't have PSCI.
> It is built with those requirements and trying to work it out for WFI without
> any idle driver or firmware implementation to back it up is just not going
> to work.
Any reason why that's the case?

I guess we should ensure that systems without a cpuidle driver
will not suspend maybe around here then.

kernel/power/main.c:

static ssize_t mem_sleep_store(struct kobject *kobj, struct kobj_attribute *attr,
			       const char *buf, size_t n)
{
	suspend_state_t state;
	int error;

	error = pm_autosleep_lock();
	if (error)
		return error;

	if (pm_autosleep_state() > PM_SUSPEND_ON) {
		error = -EBUSY;
		goto out;
	}

	state = decode_suspend_state(buf, n);
	if (state < PM_SUSPEND_MAX && state > PM_SUSPEND_ON)
		mem_sleep_current = state;
	else
		error = -EINVAL;

 out: