API for setting multiple PTEs at once

Alexandre Ghiti alex at ghiti.fr
Wed Feb 8 03:23:09 PST 2023

Hi Matthew,

On 2/7/23 21:27, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 02, 2023 at 09:14:23PM +0000, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
>> For those of you not subscribed, linux-mm is currently discussing
>> how best to handle page faults on large folios.  I simply made it work
>> when adding large folio support.  Now Yin Fengwei is working on
>> making it fast.
> OK, here's an actual implementation:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20230207194937.122543-3-willy@infradead.org/
>
> It survives a run of xfstests.  If your architecture doesn't store its
> PFNs at PAGE_SHIFT, you're going to want to implement your own set_ptes(),

riscv stores its pfn at PAGE_PFN_SHIFT instead of PAGE_SHIFT, se we need
to reimplement set_ptes. But I have been playing with your patchset and
we never fall into the case where set_ptes is called with nr > 1, any
idea why? I booted a large ubuntu defconfig and launched
will_it_scale.page_fault4.

I'll come up with the proper implementation of set_ptes anyway soon.

Thanks,

Alex