ARM board lockups/hangs triggered by locks and mutexes

Russell King (Oracle) linux at armlinux.org.uk
Tue Aug 1 15:21:44 PDT 2023

On Wed, Aug 02, 2023 at 12:10:24AM +0200, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Years ago I added support for Broadcom's BCM53573 SoCs. We released
> firmwares based on Linux 4.4 (and later on 4.14) that worked almost
> fine. There was one little issue we couldn't debug or fix: random hangs
> and reboots. They were too rare to deal with (most devices worked fine
> for weeks or months).
>
> Recently I updated my stable kernel 5.4 and I started experiencing
> stability issues on my own! After some uptime (usually from 0 to 20
> minutes of close to zero activity) serial console hangs. I can't type
> anything and I stop getting any messages. I've to wait about a minute
> for watchdog to kick in and reboot device.
>
> #####
>
> I took that great chance and decided to track the regression.
>
> Linux 5.4 stable branch worked stable up to the release v5.4.197.
> Starting with v5.4.198 I started experiencing those stability issues. I
> bisected it down to the commit 4460066eb248 ("ipv6: fix locking issues
> with loops over idev->addr_list"):
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/?h=linux-5.4.y&id=4460066eb2480b9e203c73755e12e2efc820a27e
>
> With above commit reverted I was able to use stable 5.4 branch up to the
> release v5.4.207. Starting with v5.4.208 it got unstable again. I
> bisected it down to:
> commit d0d583484d2e ("locking/refcount: Consolidate implementations of
> refcount_t")
> commit dab787c73f6e ("locking/refcount: Consolidate
> REFCOUNT_{MAX,SATURATED} definitions")
> commit 0d3182fbe689 ("locking/refcount: Move saturation warnings out of line")
> commit 809554147d60 ("locking/refcount: Improve performance of generic
> REFCOUNT_FULL code")
> commit 9c9269977f03 ("locking/refcount: Move the bulk of the
> REFCOUNT_FULL implementation into the <linux/refcount.h> header")
> commit 04bff7d7b808 ("locking/refcount: Remove unused
> refcount_*_checked() variants")
> commit 513b19a43bec ("locking/refcount: Ensure integer operands are
> treated as signed")
> commit 68b4ee68e8c8 ("locking/refcount: Define constants for
> saturation and max refcount values")
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/?h=linux-5.4.y&id=d0d583484d2ed9f5903edbbfa7e2a68f78b950b0
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/?h=linux-5.4.y&id=dab787c73f6e38d8e7ed3c1e683385e8f0fe28a2
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/?h=linux-5.4.y&id=0d3182fbe689e3808c03b6cde6be98237f9e0a4a
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/?h=linux-5.4.y&id=809554147d609163cfbaf815c443c575b538a7ef
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/?h=linux-5.4.y&id=9c9269977f03ab9c448c8b71581a951e0eb4fb7b
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/?h=linux-5.4.y&id=04bff7d7b8081c4bb2e8171be31d33df297eee5b
> [...]

If you suspect locking issues, make sure you have lockdep enabled which
will detect locking errors. You will want CONFIG_PROVE_LOCKING enabled.

I will say that I use IPv6, and I run 32-bit kernels here both on real
ARMv7 hardware (Armada 388 and iMX6 based stuff) and also in KVM based
VMs, and these have run virtually every release of the kernel (not
stable kernels though) and I haven't ever seen the behaviour that you
describe.

If it is specific to stable kernels, then that would be rather
disappointing.

FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!