Any interest in building the Linux kernel from a MacOS host?

Sven Peter sven at svenpeter.dev
Mon Sep 26 01:09:41 PDT 2022

On Mon, Sep 26, 2022, at 09:51, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> Not sure if this is potentially interesting to anyone but I was able
> to get the kernel building from MacOS my M2 Air with a small amount of
> effort (read: duct tape and bailing wire).

I originally tried exactly that last year but I guess my duct tape wasn't
quite strong enough ;)

> If this might seem helpful
> to anyone's workflow, I wouldn't mind pursuing this (with some
> cleanup, sending a more formal patch set).  Maybe this helps us
> bootstrap or get Linux up and running sooner on these machines?

I've been either using a Linux VM or just a bare metal system running
on these machine for quite a while now to build kernels. This would've
been useful when I originally started though and VMs weren't working very
well yet so maybe it's still worth pursuing.

> Take a look at the commit message linked below for the trials &
> tribulations:
> https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/linux/commit/f06333e29addbc3d714adb340355f471c1dfe95a
>
> Thanks,
> ~Nick Desaulniers