[Question] Question about supporting sysreg only CoreSight ETMv4.4 on ACPI machines

Xiongfeng Wang wangxiongfeng2 at huawei.com
Tue Oct 18 19:04:31 PDT 2022

Hi, Suzuki, Anshuman

On 2022/10/18 17:18, Suzuki Kuruppassery Poulose wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Cc: Anshuman
>
> On 18/10/2022 03:04, Xiongfeng Wang wrote:
>> Hi, Suzuki
>>
>>     We are testing CoreSight ETMv4.4 and TRBE recently. ETMv4.4 obsoletes memory
>> mapped access to ETM and mandates the system registers. The following commit add
>> driver for sysreg only devices, but it only support device tree.
>>    commit 5214b563588e8414193bd7a174c52350256942a6
>>    coresight: etm4x: Add support for sysreg only devices
>>
>> ACPI machine can use 'ARMHC500' to report a ETM4x device. But the corresponding
>> driver is etm4x_amba_driver. It needs memory resouces and doesn't support sysreg
>> only device.
>
> That is true. Unfortunately, supporting this requires us to move away from the
> AMBA framework (at least) for ETM4x devices. This is currently
> developed by Anshuman. We can share it as soon as this is complete.

Thanks a lot. Really appreciate !
By the way, do we have plan to add ACPI support for TRBE driver? ACPI 6.5 add a
field 'TRBE Interrupt' in GICC Structure. In the beginning, I plan to add a
platform device when got this IRQ, just like what SPE does in the following commit
  commit d24a0c7099b32b6981d7f126c45348e381718350
  arm_pmu: acpi: spe: Add initial MADT/SPE probing
But it seems that TRBE still needs _DSD method to report the links(input port
and output port). Do you have some other advices? Thanks a lot.

Thanks
Xiongfeng