Multi-PHYs and multiple-ports bonding support

Russell King (Oracle) linux at armlinux.org.uk
Tue Oct 18 01:13:14 PDT 2022

On Tue, Oct 18, 2022 at 10:02:05AM +0200, Maxime Chevallier wrote:
> Hello Russell,
>
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 10:24:49 +0100
> "Russell King (Oracle)" <linux at armlinux.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 10:51:00AM +0200, Maxime Chevallier wrote:
> > > 2) Changes in Phylink
> > >
> > > This might be the tricky part, as we need to track several ports,
> > > possibly connected to different PHYs, to get their state. For now, I
> > > haven't prototyped any of this yet.
> >
> > The problem is _way_ larger than phylink. It's a fundamental
> > throughout the net layer that there is one-PHY to one-MAC
> > relationship. Phylink just adopts this because it is the established
> > norm, and trying to fix it is rather rediculous without a use case.
> >
> > See code such as the ethtool code, where the MAC and associated layers
> > are# entirely bypassed with all the PHY-accessing ethtool commands and
> > the commands are passed directly to phylib for the PHY registered
> > against the netdev.
> >
> > We do have use cases though - consider a setup such as the mcbin with
> > the 3310 in SGMII mode on the fibre link and a copper PHY plugged in
> > with its own PHY - a stacked PHY situation (we don't support this
> > right now.) Which PHY should the MII ioctls, ethtool, and possibly the
> > PTP timestamp code be accessing with a copper SFP module plugged in?
> >
> > This needs to be solved for your multi-PHY case, because you need to
> > deal with programming e.g. the link advertisement in both PHYs, not
> > just one - and with the above model, you have no choice which PHY gets
> > the call, it's always going to be the one registered with the netdev.
> >
> > The point I'm making is that you're suggesting this is a phylink
> > issue, but it isn't, it's a generic networking layering bypass issue.
> > If the net code always forwarded the ethtool etc stuff to the MAC and
> > let the MAC make appropriate decisions about how these were handled,
> > then we would have a properly layered approach where each layer can
> > decide how a particular interface is implemented - to cope with
> > situations such as the one you describe.
>
> I agree with all you say, and indeed this problem is a good opportunity
> IMO to consider the other use-cases like the one you mention and come
> up with a nice solution.

However, this isn't really "other use-cases" that I'm talking about
above, but a problem that needs solving for your case.

> When you mention that ethtool bypasses the MAC layer and talks to
> phylib, since phylink has the overall view of the link, and abstracts
> the phy away from the MAC, I would think this is a good place to
> manage this tree of PHYs/ports, but on the other hand that's adding
> quite a lot of complexity to phylink.

phylink doesn't abstract the PHY from the networking layer. What we
have are these call paths through the layers:

net --> mac --> phylink --> phy
 |                           ^
      (bypass call path)

That bypass call path will be a problem as soon as you start talking
about having more than one PHY for a MAC.

Yes, changing phylink fixes some of the issues, but doesn't get away
from the fundamental issue that both the MAC and phylink are bypassed
for certain paths.

FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!