Removing the last of IIO_COUNT (stm32-timer-trigger)

William Breathitt Gray william.gray at linaro.org
Sun Oct 16 05:05:40 PDT 2022

Hi all,

The drivers/iio/trigger/stm32-timer-trigger.c file remains the last
consumer if the IIO_COUNT type. The IIO_COUNT type was deprecated some
time ago with the introduction of the Counter subsystem. Most of the
previous IIO_COUNT consumers were migrated successfully to the Counter
subsystem, but the stm32-timer-trigger driver remains as the sole module
preventing the final removal of IIO_COUNT.

At the time we deprecated IIO_COUNT, the Counter subsystem was nascent
and lacked some of the functionality we have nowadays such as a
character device interface, timestamping, hardware buffer support, etc.
If I recall correctly, the decision to delay the migration of
stm32-timer-trigger to the Counter subsystem was a lack of some
functionality the Counter subsystem could not provide at the time.

I hoping someone can evaluate stm32-timer-trigger to see if we are able
transition now to the Counter subsystem, or if that necessary
functionality is still missing today. Even if it turns out that we are
unable to migrate, it'll be useful to know what's left to implement in
the Counter subsystem to support stm32-timer-trigger or similar devices
in the future.

Thanks,

William Breathitt Gray