[GIT PULL v2 2/7] firmware: tegra: Changes for v6.2-rc1

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Tue Nov 22 13:25:50 PST 2022

On Mon, Nov 21, 2022, at 18:12, Thierry Reding wrote:
>       firmware: tegra: bpmp: Do not support big-endian

I pulled the branch, but I think this patch is inconsistent with
our normal approach: Since all ARMv7 and ARMv8 processors can
run with both big-endian and little-endian kernels, we normally
try to keep drivers portable between both ways, even though we
don't expect anyone to actually want a big-endian kernel any
more. Changing portable code to nonportable code doesn't seem
helpful here.

On the other hand, there are already examples of important
drivers that are fundamentally incompatible with big-endian
mode, notably drivers/efi/, which is required on a lot of
machines.

You don't have to revert this patch, but it would be helpful
to mark code that is explicitly unportable with a 'depends
on !CPU_BIG_ENDIAN' line in Kconfig. If you agree, I can
add that.

Do you know of other tegra drivers that only work on
little-endian?

      Arnd