Deprecating and removing SLOB

Damien Le Moal damien.lemoal at opensource.wdc.com
Mon Nov 14 03:35:31 PST 2022

On 11/14/22 18:36, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
> On 11/14/22 06:48, Damien Le Moal wrote:

>>> I sent a patch to change the k210 defconfig to using SLUB. However...
>
> Thanks!
>
>>> The current default config using SLOB gives about 630 free memory pages
>>> after boot (cat /proc/vmstat). Switching to SLUB, this is down to about
>>> 400 free memory pages (CONFIG_SLUB_CPU_PARTIAL is off).
>
> Thanks for the testing! How much RAM does the system have btw? I found 8MB
> somewhere, is that correct?

Yep, 8MB, that's it.

> So 230 pages that's a ~920 kB difference. Last time we saw less  dramatic
> difference [1]. But that was looking at Slab pages, not free pages. The
> extra overhead could be also in percpu allocations, code etc.
>
>>> This is with a buildroot kernel 5.19 build including a shell and sd-card
>>> boot. With SLUB, I get clean boots and a shell prompt as expected. But I
>>> definitely see more errors with shell commands failing due to allocation
>>> failures for the shell process fork. So as far as the K210 is concerned,
>>> switching to SLUB is not ideal.
>>>
>>> I would not want to hold on kernel mm improvements because of this toy
>>> k210 though, so I am not going to prevent SLOB deprecation. I just wish
>>> SLUB itself used less memory :)
>>
>> Did further tests with kernel 6.0.1:
>> * SLOB: 630 free pages after boot, shell working (occasional shell fork
>> failure happen though)
>> * SLAB: getting memory allocation for order 7 failures on boot already
>> (init process). Shell barely working (high frequency of shell command fork
>> failures)

I forgot to add here that the system was down to about 500 free pages
after boot (again from the shell with "cat /proc/vmstat").

>> * SLUB: getting memory allocation for order 7 failures on boot. I do get a
>> shell prompt but cannot run any shell command that involves forking a new
>> process.

For both slab and slub, I had cpu partial off, debug off and slab merge
on, as I suspected that would lead to less memory overhead.
I suspected memory fragmentation may be an issue but doing

echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

before trying a shell command did not help much at all (it usually does on
that board with SLOB). Note that this is all with buildroot, so this echo
& redirect always works as it does not cause a shell fork.

>> So if we want to keep the k210 support functional with a shell, we need
>> slob. If we reduce that board support to only one application started as
>> the init process, then I guess anything is OK.
>
> In [1] it was possible to save some more memory with more tuning. Some of
> that required boot parameters and other code changes. In another reply [2] I
> considered adding something like SLUB_TINY to take care of all that, so
> looks like it would make sense to proceed with that.

If you want me to test something, let me know.

--
Damien Le Moal
Western Digital Research