[BUG] rtc-efi: Error in efi.get_time() spams dmesg with error message #forregzbot

Thorsten Leemhuis regressions at leemhuis.info
Sun Nov 13 09:43:02 PST 2022

[Note: this mail is primarily send for documentation purposes and/or for
regzbot, my Linux kernel regression tracking bot. That's why I removed
most or all folks from the list of recipients, but left any that looked
like a mailing lists. These mails usually contain '#forregzbot' in the
subject, to make them easy to spot and filter out.]

On 09.11.22 16:50, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 08.11.22 11:55, Alexandru Elisei wrote:
>
>> Commit d3549a938b73 ("efi/arm64: libstub: avoid SetVirtualAddressMap() when
>> possible") exposed a firmware error on an Ampere Altra machine that was
>> causing the machine to panic. Then commit 23715a26c8d8 ("arm64: efi:
>> Recover from synchronous exceptions occurring in firmware") made the EFI
>> exception non-fatal, and disabled runtime services when the exception
>> happens. The interaction between those two patches are being discussed in a
>> separate thread [1], but that should be orthogonal to this.
>>
>> Now efi.get_time() fails and each time an error message is printed to
>> dmesg, which happens several times a second and clutters dmesg
>> unnecessarily, to the point it becomes unusable.
>
> Thanks for the report. To be sure below issue doesn't fall through the
> cracks unnoticed, I'm adding it to regzbot, my Linux kernel regression
> tracking bot:
>
> #regzbot ^introduced 23715a26c8d8
> #regzbot title arm64: efi: efi.get_time() fails and clutters dmesg
> #regzbot ignore-activity

#regzbot fixed-by: 550b33cfd445296