Deprecating and removing SLOB

Conor Dooley conor at kernel.org
Fri Nov 11 12:46:46 PST 2022

On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 11:33:30AM +0100, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
> On 11/8/22 22:44, Pasha Tatashin wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 8, 2022 at 10:55 AM Vlastimil Babka <vbabka at suse.cz> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> as we all know, we currently have three slab allocators. As we discussed
> >> at LPC [1], it is my hope that one of these allocators has a future, and
> >> two of them do not.
> >>
> >> The unsurprising reasons include code maintenance burden, other features
> >> compatible with only a subset of allocators (or more effort spent on the
> >> features), blocking API improvements (more on that below), and my
> >> inability to pronounce SLAB and SLUB in a properly distinguishable way,
> >> without resorting to spelling out the letters.
> >>
> >> I think (but may be proven wrong) that SLOB is the easier target of the
> >> two to be removed, so I'd like to focus on it first.
> >>
> >> I believe SLOB can be removed because:
> >>
> >> - AFAIK nobody really uses it? It strives for minimal memory footprint
> >> by putting all objects together, which has its CPU performance costs
> >> (locking, lack of percpu caching, searching for free space...). I'm not
> >> aware of any "tiny linux" deployment that opts for this. For example,
> >> OpenWRT seems to use SLUB and the devices these days have e.g. 128MB
> >> RAM, not up to 16 MB anymore. I've heard anecdotes that the performance
> >> SLOB impact is too much for those who tried. Googling for
> >> "CONFIG_SLOB=y" yielded nothing useful.
> >
> > I am all for removing SLOB.
> >
> > There are some devices with configs where SLOB is enabled by default.
> > Perhaps, the owners/maintainers of those devices/configs should be
> > included into this thread:
> >
> > tatashin at soleen:~/x/linux$ git grep SLOB=y

> > arch/riscv/configs/nommu_k210_defconfig:CONFIG_SLOB=y
> > arch/riscv/configs/nommu_k210_sdcard_defconfig:CONFIG_SLOB=y
> > arch/riscv/configs/nommu_virt_defconfig:CONFIG_SLOB=y

> Turns out that since SLOB depends on EXPERT, many of those lack it so
> running make defconfig ends up with SLUB anyway, unless I miss something.
> Only a subset has both SLOB and EXPERT:
>
> > git grep CONFIG_EXPERT `git grep -l "CONFIG_SLOB=y"`

> arch/riscv/configs/nommu_virt_defconfig:CONFIG_EXPERT=y

I suppose there's not really a concern with the virt defconfig, but I
did check the output of `make nommu_k210_defconfig" and despite not
having expert it seems to end up CONFIG_SLOB=y in the generated .config.

I do have a board with a k210 so I checked with s/SLOB/SLUB and it still
boots etc, but I have no workloads or w/e to run on it.