[Issue] EFI runtime-wrapper is broken

Thorsten Leemhuis regressions at leemhuis.info
Tue Nov 8 04:26:35 PST 2022

Hi, this is your Linux kernel regression tracker. CCing the regression
mailing list, as it should be in the loop for all regressions, as
explained here:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/reporting-issues.html

On 28.10.22 11:39, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Oct 2022 at 11:38, Gavin Shan <gshan at redhat.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> This is probably related to the patch below. It means the firmware is
>>> buggy, and does not work as it should if the firmware never calls
>>> SetVirtualAddressMap() [and doing so is explicitly described as
>>> OPTIONAL by the EFI specification].
>>>
>>> The problem here is that other EFI implementations (primarily the
>>> Qualcomm ones used on Windows-on-ARM laptops) are buggy too, and don't
>>> tolerate SetVirtualAddressMap().
>>>
>>> Can you try whether reverting the patch below helps?
>>
>> I ran into the issue on server, equipped with Ampere CPUs. With d3549a938b73
>> reverted, the crash disappeared.
>
> Thanks for confirming
>
> Can you please share the complete boot log and the DMI/SMBIOS data? Thanks.

Gavin, did you ever send this?

Or Ard, was there any progress to get the issue fixed?

I ask because I have this on the list of tracked regression -- and I
noticed there is another report about problems caused by d3549a938b73
now from Alexandru Elisei:
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/Y2lAB508TrrjpDPi@monolith.localdoman/

P.S.: As the Linux kernel's regression tracker I deal with a lot of
reports and sometimes miss something important when writing mails like
this. If that's the case here, don't hesitate to tell me in a public
reply, it's in everyone's interest to set the public record straight.