[RFC 0/6] Bootloader based hibernation

Mark Rutland mark.rutland at arm.com
Fri May 20 09:43:26 PDT 2022

Hi,

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 01:18:35PM +0530, Vivek Kumar wrote:
> Kernel Hibernation
>
> Linux Kernel has been already supporting hibernation, a process which
> involves freezing of all userspace tasks, followed by quiescing of all
> kernel device drivers and then a DDR snapshot is taken which is saved
> to disc-swap partition, after the save, the system can either shutdown
> or continue further. Generally during the next power cycle when kernel
> boots and after probing almost all of the drivers, in the late_init()
> part, it checks if a hibernation image is present in the specified swap
> slot, if a valid hibernation image is found, it superimposes the currently
> executing Kernel with an older kernel from the snapshot, moving further,
> it calls the restore of the drivers and unfreezes the userspace tasks.
> CONFIG_HIBERNATION and a designated swap partition needs to be present
> for to enable Hibernation.
>
> Bootloader Based Hibernation:
>
> Automotive usecases require better boot KPIs, Hence we are proposing a
> bootloader based hibernation restore.

At a high-level, I'm not a fan of adding new ways to enter the kernel, and for
the same reasons that the existing hibernate handover is deliberately *not* a
stable ABI, I don't think we should add an ABI for this. This is not going to
remain maintainable or compatible over time as the kernel evolves.

> Purpose of bootloader based hibernation is to improve the overall boot time
> till the first display frame is seen on the screen or a camera application
> can be launched from userspace after the power on reset key is pressed.

Can you break down the time taken for that today?

What does a cold boot look like?

What *exactly* are you trying to skip by using hibernation?

Thanks,
Mark.