[RFC v8 net-next 00/16] add support for VSC7512 control over SPI

Vladimir Oltean vladimir.oltean at nxp.com
Thu May 19 10:09:29 PDT 2022

On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 09:15:00AM -0700, Colin Foster wrote:
> Hi Vladimir,
>
> On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 02:44:41PM +0000, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
> > Hi Colin,

> > > I'm starting this implementation. Yep - it is interesting.
> > >
> > > A quick grep for "mdios" only shows one hit:
> > > arch/arm64/boot/dts/freescale/fsl-lx2160a-bluebox3.dts
> > >
> > > While that has an mdios field (two, actually), each only has one mdio
> > > bus, and they all seem to get parsed / registered through
> > > sja1105_mdiobus_.*_register.
> > >

> > > Is this change correct (I have a feeling it isn't):
> > >
> > > ocelot-chip at 0 {
> > >     #address-cells = <1>;
> > >     #size-cells = <0>;

> > >     mdio0: mdio at 0 {
> > >         reg=<0>;
> > >     };
> > >
> > >     mdio1: mdio at 1 {
> > >         reg = <1>;
> > >     };
> > > };
> > >
> > > When I run this with MFD's (use,)of_reg, things work as I'd expect. But
> > > I don't directly have the option to use an "mdios" container here
> > > because MFD runs "for_each_child_of_node" doesn't dig into
> > > mdios->mdio0...
> >
> > Sorry for the delayed response. I think you can avoid creating an
> > "mdios" container node, but you need to provide some "reg" values based
> > on which the MDIO controllers can be distinguished. What is your convention
> > for "reg" values of MFD cells? Maybe pass the base address/size of this
> > device's regmap as the "reg", even if the driver itself won't use it?
>
> No worries. Everyone is busy.
>
> Right now it looks like this:
>
> }, {
>     .name = "ocelot-miim0",
>     .of_compatible = "mscc,ocelot-miim",
>     .of_reg = 0,
>     .use_of_reg = true,
>     .num_resources = ARRAY_SIZE(vsc7512_miim0_resources),
>     .resources = vsc7512_miim0_resources,
> }, {
>     .name = "ocelot-miim1",
>     .of_compatible = "mscc,ocelot-miim",
>     .num_resources = ARRAY_SIZE(vsc7512_miim1_resources),
>     .of_reg = 1,
>     .use_of_reg = true,
>     .resources = vsc7512_miim1_resources,
> }, {
>
> "0" and "1" being somewhat arbitrary... although they are named as such
> in the datasheet.
>

> So you're thinking it might look more like:
>
> .of_reg = vsc7512_miim0_resources[0].start,
>
> and the device tree would be:
>
> mdio0: mdio at 0x7107009c {
>     reg = <0x7107009c>;
> };

Yeah, this is what I was thinking.

> I could see that making sense. The main thing I don't like is applying
> the address-cells to every peripheral in the switch. It seems incorrect
> to have:
>
> switch {
>     address-cells = <1>;
>     mdio0: mdio at 7107009c {
>         reg = <0x7107009c>;
>     };
>     gpio: pinctrl {
>         /* No reg parameter */
>     };
> };
>
> That's what I currently have. To my surprise it actually doesn't throw
> any warnings, which I would've expected.

I tried mangling some device trees and indeed it looks like dtc won't
warn, but I still think it's invalid to mix node address conventions
with the same #address-cells. Maybe if that wasn't the case things would
be easier.

> I could see either 0/1 or the actual base addresses making sense.
> Whichever you'd suggest.

The idea with putting the actual base addresses was that you could then
do that for all cells, like the pinctrl node, too, and they'd have a
coherent meaning.