Question abount VSOL/CarlitoxxPro SFP Patch on Marvell Armada (MCBIN DS)

Russell King (Oracle) linux at armlinux.org.uk
Mon May 9 13:27:10 PDT 2022

On Mon, May 09, 2022 at 07:08:32PM +0200, Pali Rohár wrote:
> One GPON module which I tested, signals TX_FAULT when CPU tried to link
> at wrong speed. This is just my observation, nor sure if it is
> coincidence...
>
> So when kernel set phylink to 2500base-x and GPON SFP module expected
> CPU to set phylink to 1000base-x then kernel received TX_FAULT. After I
> switched 2500base-x to 1000base-x TX_FAULT stopped and link started
> working.

If that's what that GPON module does, that's another invention by a
GPON SFP manufacturer.

> Btw, what does TX_FAULT signal means?

In the SFP MSA, an asserted TX_FAULT means that there is some kind of
laser fault with the module.

So, using TX_FAULT to signal "host, you got the interface speed wrong"
is very much some GPON module manufacturers invention.

> Yes, this sucks. Importance is that GPON ONU/ONT box (either in media
> box form factor or SFP form factor) is compliant to GPON standards and
> then that is also compliant to the vendor OMCI extension for correct
> provisioning from vendor OLT. For SFP the last importance is that it
> works in vendor's media box with SFP cage. And that is all. Nobody care
> about SFF standards compliance.
>
> I do not know what we can done here. Maybe SFP subsystem should cycle
> between phy modes returned by sfp_parse_support() until one start
> working?
>
> Dedicated GPON media boxes are in better shape because they have RJ45
> with copper ethernet over twisted pair and this has standardized
> autonegotiation of speed. So here if provisioning force speed 1Gbps then
> on LAN RJ45 port is mode changed to 1000base-t.

Maybe the right answer is we just stop trying to support GPON modules
with all their random manufacturer specific quirks and odd behaviours.

FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!