Question abount VSOL/CarlitoxxPro SFP Patch on Marvell Armada (MCBIN DS)

Pali Rohár pali at kernel.org
Sun May 8 09:51:59 PDT 2022

On Tuesday 08 March 2022 11:15:08 Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
> I've seen that with some of the other modules (the alcatel/lucent ones)
> where they won't switch to 2.5G unless they are on the PON network and
> have been configured.

Those Alcatel/Lucent GPON SFP modules (including Nokia rebrands) choose
1000base-x vs 2500base-x speed on LAN port based on settings done via
OMCI from OLT.

With advanced OLT you can "force" that speed, even when SFP is already
plugged and running.

So if ISP decide that your LAN port is 1G-only then those Alcatel/Lucent
GPON SFP modules would never switch to 2500base-x mode with user CPU.

Russell, is there any option to ignore speed information stored in SFP
EEPROM and try to choose speed at linux runtime?

And how to correctly handle behavior of SFP module which changes speed
during usage time?