[v7 2/4] ASoC: mediatek: mt8192: refactor for I2S3 DAI link of speaker

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Wed Mar 30 07:24:11 PDT 2022

On Wed, Mar 30, 2022 at 10:06:24PM +0800, Jiaxin Yu wrote:
> On Wed, 2022-03-30 at 13:30 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

> > Making a previously optional property required means that systems
> > that
> > previously worked may stop working unless they update their DT, DTs
> > may
> > be distributed separately to the kernel and perhaps even baked into
> > firmware or similar.

> Thank you for your detailed answer. I should keep the driver's behavior
> consistent with the description of dt-bindings. The "mediatek,hdmi-
> codec" needs to be set as the required property. Is my understanding
> right?

The binding document and code should match so if one is changed the
other needs to be changed too.

In theory we should never change a previously optional property to
required which would mean that the code should be updated to reflect the
binding document, however sometimes the DT isn't actually used as a
stable intereface by anything for a given property or device type so we
can get away with changing things.