[page-reclaim] Re: [GIT PULL] Multi-gen LRU for 5.18-rc1

Michal Hocko mhocko at suse.com
Mon Mar 28 07:27:27 PDT 2022

On Mon 28-03-22 14:43:52, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 02:29:20PM +0200, David Hildenbrand wrote:
> > I'd appreciate if we could merge most MM-related stuff through the -MM
> > tree; it exists for a reason IMHO. Andrew, you usually have a very good
> > feeling when something's ready to be merged upstream (sufficient review
> > from relevant folks, sufficient exposure via -mm and -next, ...).
>
> The problem is that the MM tree is completely unusable when patches going
> in through other trees need to be based on it.  The MM workflow clearly
> works well for Andrew, but it doesn't work well for us as a community.

This is not the first time this has been brought up over years. We have
discussed the existing workflow at the LSFMM two years ago without a
larger consensus. I believe we want/need to resurrect those discussions
again. IMHO the existing workflow is more and more hitting its limits
so we should really think about a long term solution.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs