[stable:PATCH v5.4.184 00/22] arm64: Mitigate spectre style branch history side channels

James Morse james.morse at arm.com
Wed Mar 16 10:38:34 PDT 2022

Hi Sasha,

On 3/16/22 3:41 PM, Sasha Levin wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 06:23:53PM +0000, James Morse wrote:
>> Hi Greg,
>>
>> Here is the state of the current v5.4 backport. Now that the 32bit
>> code has been merged, it doesn't conflict when KVM's shared 32bit/64bit
>> code needs to use these constants.
>>
>> I've fixed the two issues that were reported against the v5.10 backport.
>>
>> I had a go at bringing all the pre-requisites in to add proton-pack.c
>> to v5.4. Its currently 39 patches:
>> https://git.gitlab.arm.com/linux-arm/linux-jm.git /bhb/alternative_backport/UNTESTED/v5.4.183
>> (or for web browsers:
>> https://gitlab.arm.com/linux-arm/linux-jm/-/commits/bhb/alternative_backport/UNTESTED/v5.4.183/
>> )
>
> I've queued it up.

Just to clarify - you've queued this series that I posted, not the above 'UNTESTED' branch
where I tried (unsuccessfully) to bring in the prerequisites.

(The position of your comment made me jump!)

The background is Greg commented on the BHB list that he thought it would be better to bring
in the prerequisites, I said I'd have a go.
As described here, I think it just creates new problems.

Thanks,

James