Scheduling (unused) board file removal for linux-6.x

Arnd Bergmann arnd at kernel.org
Thu Jun 30 02:08:26 PDT 2022

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 9:10 AM Krzysztof Kozlowski <krzk at kernel.org> wrote:
> On 29/06/2022 22:42, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> >
> > s3c64xx
> >
> > There are ten board files, which are currently scheduled for removal in
> > 2024, along with the DT based boards for this SoC. We can still decide
> > to throw out some of the board files earlier though, while keeping the
> > platform around.
>
> I would keep all s3c24xx/s3c64xx boards till the platform drop. Removing
> few boards before platform won't give us huge benefits... and anyway
> just 1 and 2 years and they all will be gone.

I think there is benefit in throwing out some unused s3c64xx boards
even earlier, as this would simplify some treewide cleanups that have to
touch every board file, and potentially let us drop some peripheral
device drivers that have no other users and no DT probing.

Ten boards is of course not a lot, but it's still about a third of the
board files I have currently marked as sticking around past early
2023.

        Arnd