KVM/arm64: SPE: Translate VA to IPA on a stage 2 fault instead of pinning VM memory

Alexandru Elisei alexandru.elisei at arm.com
Wed Jul 27 04:57:16 PDT 2022

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 12:08:11PM +0100, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> On 2022-07-27 11:44, Alexandru Elisei wrote:

> > > See HFGITR.ERET.
> >
> > Ah, so that's the register, thanks!
> >
> > I stil am not sure that having FEAT_SPE, an Armv8.3 extension, depend on
> > FEAT_FGT, an Armv8.6 extension, is the best idea. Do you know of any
> > machines
> > that have FEAT_SPE and FEAT_FGT?
>
> None. Both are pretty niche, and the combination is nowhere
> to be seen at the moment.

That was also my impression.

> > On the plus side, KVM could enable the trap only in the case above, and
> > disable
> > it after the ERET is trapped, so it should be relatively cheap to use.
>
> This feels pretty horrible. Nothing says *when* will EL1
> alter the PTs. It could take tons of EL1->EL1 exceptions
> before returning to EL0. And the change could happen after
> an EL1->EL0->EL1 transition. At which point do you stop?

ERET trapping is enabled When PMBLIMITR_EL1.E = 1, PMSCR_EL1.{E0SPE,E1SPE}
= {1,0}. The first guest ERET from EL1 to EL0 enables profiling, at which
point the buffer is pinned and ERET trapping is disabled.

Guest messing with the translation tables while profiling is enabled is the
guest's problem because that's not permitted by the architecture. Any stage
2 dabt taken when the buffer is pinned would be injected back into the
guest as an SPE external abort (or something equivalent). Stage 1 dabts are
entirely the guest's problem to solve and would be injected back regardless
of the status of the buffer.

Yes, I agree, there could be a lot of ERETs from EL1 to EL1 before the ERET
to EL0; those ERETs would be uselessly trapped.

The above is a moot point anyway, because I believe we both agree that
having SPE emulation depend on FEAT_FGT is best to be avoided.

Thanks,
Alex