KVM/arm64: SPE: Translate VA to IPA on a stage 2 fault instead of pinning VM memory

Alexandru Elisei alexandru.elisei at arm.com
Wed Jul 27 03:44:15 PDT 2022

On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 11:29:03AM +0100, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> On 2022-07-27 11:19, Alexandru Elisei wrote:
> > Hi Oliver,
> >
> > Thank you for the help, replies below.
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 26, 2022 at 10:51:21AM -0700, Oliver Upton wrote:
> > > Hi Alex,
> > >
> > > On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 11:06:24AM +0100, Alexandru Elisei wrote:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Not saying we necessarily should, but this is possible with FGT no?
> >
> > It doesn't look to me like FEAT_FGT offers any knobs to trap ERET from
> > EL1.
>
> See HFGITR.ERET.

Ah, so that's the register, thanks!

I stil am not sure that having FEAT_SPE, an Armv8.3 extension, depend on
FEAT_FGT, an Armv8.6 extension, is the best idea. Do you know of any machines
that have FEAT_SPE and FEAT_FGT?

On the plus side, KVM could enable the trap only in the case above, and disable
it after the ERET is trapped, so it should be relatively cheap to use.

Thanks,
Alex