Scheduling (unused) board file removal for linux-6.x

Daniel Mack daniel at zonque.org
Fri Jul 1 03:21:02 PDT 2022

On 6/30/22 13:32, Linus Walleij wrote:
> This looks like something that would be interesting to pick up and maintain
> with DT support, if and only if there are devices with enough memory.
>
> However I doubt there is interest.
>
> I think the palmtops/PDAs are a bit outdated as enthusiast/hobbyist platforms
> with screens because those people will use PostmarketOS with
> cheap old tablets and phones these days.

It should be totally possible to port the remaining board-file powered
PXA boards over to DT. Some drivers will need DT amendments, and some
board files apply some rather exotic approaches, but with access to such
hardware, they can certainly be made work again.

I would be in favor of removing the board files, and help enthusiasts in
their efforts to to the switch to DT. In fact I would feel better to
bring back support with actual hardware testing than blindly patching
things.

Thanks,
Daniel