DTB backward/forward compatibility with "pinctrl: bcm2835: Change init order for gpio hogs"

Florian Fainelli f.fainelli at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 11:39:18 PST 2022

Hi,

I am a bit frustrated by this commit, we picked it up via the stable
5.10 and 5.15 trees into our downstream tree, and in the absence of a
suitable 'gpio-ranges' property for the GPIO controller, the SPI
controller keeps getting -EPROBE_DEFER for its chip select. If the
property is present, then all is well.

Now the problem in my case is that the boot loader is responsible for
providing the DTB to the kernel, and until recently, we did not update
it to contain a suitable 'gpio-ranges' property. Now that it has been
updated however, older kernels which *do not* have said change in the
subject are also getting -EPROBE_DEFER for the SPI chip select.

So this is just breaking backward/forward compatibility with the DTB
unless both are updated in lock steps which is *extremely* inconvenient.

This is death by a thousand cuts.

So how do we remedy this?
--
Florian