next/master bisection: baseline.bootrr.intel-igb-probed on kontron-pitx-imx8m

Saravana Kannan saravanak at google.com
Tue Aug 16 10:48:04 PDT 2022

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 10:26 AM Mark Brown <broonie at kernel.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 04:54:25PM -0700, Saravana Kannan wrote:
>
> > While you are here, I'm working towards patches on top of [1] where
> > fw_devlink will tie the sync_state() callback to each regulator. Also,
> > i realized that if you can convert the regulator_class to a
> > regulator_bus, we could remove a lot of the "find the supply for this
> > regulator when it's registered" code and let device links handle it.
> > Let me know if that's something you'd be okay with. It would change
> > the sysfs path for /sys/class/regulator and moves it to
> > /sys/bus/regulator, but not sure if that's considered an ABI breakage
> > (sysfs paths change all the time).
>
> That *does* sound like it'd be an ABI issue TBH.  I thought there was
> support for keeping class around even when converting to a bus

Ah, this is news to me. I'll poke around to see if the path can be
maintained even after converting a class to a bus.

(though
> TBH given how entirely virtual this stuff us it seems odd that we'd be
> going for a bus).

I'm going for a bus because class doesn't have a distinction between
"device has been added" and "device is ready if these things happen".
There's nothing to say that a "bus" has to be a real hardware bus.

-Saravana