Branch/Steps required to build linux kernel for Cortex R52 FVP

Ayan Kumar Halder ayan.kumar.halder at xilinx.com
Mon Apr 11 15:12:22 PDT 2022

Hi Vladimir,

On 31/03/2022 16:54, Vladimir Murzin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 3/31/22 12:04 PM, Ayan Kumar Halder wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Refer
>> https://developer.arm.com/tools-and-software/simulation-models/fixed-virtual-platforms
>> for Cortex R52 FVP
>>
>> For Cortex R82 FVP, I can see the steps
>> https://community.arm.com/oss-platforms/w/docs/633/release-1-single-core
>>
>> If there are any steps available to build linux on Cortex R52 based
>> SoC or other emulator, please let me know.
>>
>> The only relevant link I got was
>> https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/plain/meta/conf/machine/include/arm/armv8r/tune-cortexr52.inc
>> , but could not find instructions.
>
> I do run uCLinux on Cortex-R52 occasionally and I'm not aware of any
> instructions publicly
> available. IIRC, Cortex R52 FVP is variant of VExpress, so the show
> stopper is that VExpress
> guarded (indirectly via ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM) with MMU=y. Another
> missing bit is device tree
> (especially memory map and interrupt map).

That is great to hear.

As I read in ARM DDI 0568A.c ID110520 Arm ARM supplement for Armv8 for
AArch32, it says the Real time profile supports PMSA based on MPU. So I
am assuming it does not support MMU.

I did not see how you found that "Cortex R52 FVP is variant of VExpress".

> Unfortunately (or fortunately) I'm at beginning of my sabbatical
> month, so cannot really
> help, yet you can try ARM Support - they might have some instructions
> (or they come to me).
>
> In case you have strong interest I can find bandwidth (once I'm back)
> to submit support for
> AN536 ("Example Cortex™-R52x2 subsystem FPGA") for MPS3, so we get
> R-class representative
> mainline ;)

It will be great to see it mainline. Let's touch base when you are back.

To give a bit more context, I am in the process of porting Xen on Cortex
R52 (using FVP).

I am using
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/43581/commits (as a
reference for running an app on Cortex R52 FVP) and
https://gitlab.com/xen-project/fusa/xen-integration/-/merge_requests/15
to see how MPU is supported.

I will be needing some kernel port to run it as a Dom0 kernel for Xen.
So having the uCLinux will be awesome.

- Ayan