arm32 insecure W+X mapping

Fabio Estevam festevam at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 02:44:56 PDT 2021

Hi Tim,

[Adding the NXP folks]

On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 2:49 PM Tim Harvey <tharvey at gateworks.com> wrote:

> Shawn, Fabio and Pengutronix Kernel team,
>
> Do you know why we get 'Checked W+X mappings: FAILED, 1 W+X pages
> found' messages for IMX6 with CONFIG_SUSPEND and CONFIG_DEBUG_WX
> enabled due to to __arm_ioremap_exec call remapping ocram? [1]

Not sure if this is related or not to the following behavior that I am seeing.

On 5.15-rc1 I see the following on an imx6dl based board:

[    0.123336] imx6q_suspend_init: failed to find ocram device!

Also, suspend/resume is not working as expected:

# echo enabled > /sys/class/tty/ttymxc0/power/wakeup
# echo mem >  /sys/power/state

(Sometimes it reboots the board, sometimes it does not enter in suspend).

I haven't had a chance to debug this but just wanted to report it.

Regards,

Fabio Estevam