Commit 8ae030c34 breaks USB on the Raspberry Pi 4

Michael Stapelberg michael+lkml at stapelberg.ch
Wed Sep 15 00:55:57 PDT 2021

Hey Nicolas

On Wed, 15 Sept 2021 at 09:42, nicolas saenz julienne <nsaenz at kernel.org> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> On Wed, 2021-09-15 at 08:33 +0200, Michael Stapelberg wrote:
> > Thanks for your mail.
> >
> > My system does not use any Linux kernel modules (=m), all required
> > code is compiled into the kernel itself (=y).
> > The root file system does not contain any .ko files.
>
> Are you building your own kernels? Then I suggest to configure the
> raspberrypi-reset driver as builtin (=y) so it's available in your kernel
> image.

Yes, I have already done that. I was more interested in fixing this
problem for others, and/or avoiding similar problems in the future.

> Could you provide more information on how your system/rootfs is built and
> setup?

Please see https://gokrazy.org/, specifically https://gokrazy.org/quickstart/.
The source for the gokr-packer tool is at
https://github.com/gokrazy/tools/tree/master/cmd/gokr-packer

In summary, my tool builds a read-only SquashFS root file system that
directly starts processes written in Go.
The boot partition (FAT32 for the Raspberry Pi) contains only the
Linux kernel and Raspberry Pi firmware files.