Non-existing config symbols DEBUG_OMAP{3,4,5}UART{1,2}

Lukas Bulwahn lukas.bulwahn at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 22:28:32 PDT 2021

Dear Tony,

With commit d2b310b0234c ("ARM: debug: Use generic 8250 debug_ll for
omap2 and omap3/4/5 common uarts"), you added address definitions of
DEBUG_UART_PHYS for OMAP2, OMAP3, OMAP4 and OMAP5 in
./arch/arm/Kconfig.debug.

These definitions depend on:
  - DEBUG_OMAP2UART1 || DEBUG_OMAP3UART1 || DEBUG_OMAP4UART1 ||
DEBUG_OMAP5UART1, and
  - DEBUG_OMAP2UART2 || DEBUG_OMAP3UART2 || DEBUG_OMAP4UART2 ||
DEBUG_OMAP5UART2.

As of now, only DEBUG_OMAP2UART{1,2} are defined in
./arch/arm/Kconfig.debug, but DEBUG_OMAP{3,4,5}UART{1,2} are not
defined. Hence, ./scripts/checkkconfigsymbols.py warns here on
non-existing symbols.

I am unsure about the best way to resolve this issue.

- Would you like to simply reuse the config DEBUG_OMAP2UART{1,2} also
for OMAP3, OMAP4 and OMAP5? Then, we probably just need to delete the
dead references
to DEBUG_OMAP{3,4,5}UART{1,2}. If you consider this further change
helpful, we could even rename the configs to DEBUG_OMAP2PLUSUART{1,2}
to make the architecture more specific.

- Do you see the need for separate config definitions for UART{1,2} on
OMAP3, OMAP4 and OMAP5? Then, we would need to add further definitions
DEBUG_OMAP{3,4,5}UART{1,2}
in this file and link those to the specific architecture.

Once the direction is clear, I am happy to provide a patch to address
this issue or you can quickly take care of this yourself.

Best regards,

Lukas