Any way to disable KVM VHE extension?

Robin Murphy robin.murphy at arm.com
Thu Jul 15 02:28:49 PDT 2021

On 2021-07-15 09:55, Qu Wenruo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently I'm playing around the Nvidia Xavier AGX board, which has VHE
> extension support.
>
> In theory, considering the CPU and memory, it should be pretty powerful
> compared to boards like RPI CM4.
>
> But to my surprise, KVM runs pretty poor on Xavier.
>
> Just booting the edk2 firmware could take over 10s, and 20s to fully
> boot the kernel.
> Even my VM on RPI CM4 has way faster boot time, even just running on
> PCIE2.0 x1 lane NVME, and just 4 2.1Ghz A72 core.
>
> This is definitely out of my expectation, I double checked to be sure
> that it's running in KVM mode.
>
> But further digging shows that, since Xavier AGX CPU supports VHE, kvm
> is running in VHE mode other than HYP mode on CM4.
>
> Is there anyway to manually disable VHE mode to test the more common HYP
> mode on Xavier?

According to kernel-parameters.txt, "kvm-arm.mode=nvhe" (or its
low-level equivalent "id_aa64mmfr1.vh=0") on the command line should do
that.

However I'd imagine the discrepancy is likely to be something more
fundamental to the wildly different microarchitectures. There's
certainly no harm in giving non-VHE a go for comparison, but I wouldn't
be surprised if it turns out even slower...

Robin.