5.10 LTS Kernel: 2 or 6 years?

Greg Kroah-Hartman gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Fri Feb 19 10:53:27 EST 2021

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 07:05:41AM -0800, Florian Fainelli wrote:

> On 2/19/2021 12:25 AM, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

> >> Greg, I'm sorry but I'm not in a position to provide such a commitment.
> >
> > Ok, who at Broadcom do I need to talk to to get that type of commitment?
>
> I am not sure if I was too subtle before, we (Broadcom) cannot give you
> an unified voice to speak with because we are divided in silos/business
> units that make their independent decisions.

That's fine, I'm totally used to that, large (and even small) companies
always have different groups with different roadmaps and policies.

> The group I work in (STB/CM, different from Scott's) is committed to
> using the 5.10 kernel for 6 years and that is a decision that has been
> taken.

Great!  Will you all be testing the -rc releases and letting me know how
they work for your systems?

> I could give you names of other decision makers in other business units
> I know who also deliver Linux for their respective business units
> however some of them may not make public appearances on mailing lists,
> let alone care about upstreaming their changes so I do not know whether
> a 6 years 5.10 kernel is even something they remotely entertain.

That's fine, I'm not expecting emails from the list, we can take this
off-list if you like as it sounds like I need to talk to some different
managers there, right?  :)

thanks,

greg k-h