linux-next: manual merge of the net-next tree with the arm-soc tree

Arnd Bergmann arnd at kernel.org
Tue Feb 16 05:11:41 EST 2021

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 3:20 AM <nobuhiro1.iwamatsu at toshiba.co.jp> wrote:

> > I fixed it up (see below) and can carry the fix as necessary. This
> > is now fixed as far as linux-next is concerned, but any non trivial
> > conflicts should be mentioned to your upstream maintainer when your tree
> > is submitted for merging.  You may also want to consider cooperating
> > with the maintainer of the conflicting tree to minimise any particularly
> > complex conflicts.
> >

> This is because the DTS changes are included in net-next. This patch should be merged via the soc tree.
> I had the same problem before. How is it correct to send a DTS patch?
> Should I separate into different series?

I have already sent the pull requests for the dts files to Linus, so that's
not changing any more for this time, and he will just have to fix it up
when he pulls both branches.

In the future, please send all dts updates to soc at kernel.org (after the
binding and driver is merged) rather than together with the device drivers.

Sending the devicetree binding updates is a little trickier, as we tend to
want them merged both with the driver and the dts files. One way to do
this is to have a shared branch for the bindings updates, and then base both
the driver branch and the dts branch on top of the same commits for that.

A simpler alternative is to merge only the driver and binding changes in
one release, and send the dts changes for the following release. This
obviously takes longer to complete.

       Arnd