next/master bisection: baseline.login on rk3288-rock2-square

Russell King - ARM Linux admin linux at armlinux.org.uk
Thu Feb 4 09:09:11 EST 2021

On Thu, Feb 04, 2021 at 12:26:44PM +0000, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> I agree. With set/way CMOs, there is no way to reach the PoC if
> it beyond the system cache, leading to an unbootable kernel.
> This is actually pretty well documented in the architecture,
> and it did bite us for the first time on XGene-1, 7 years ago.

That may be, however we still do set/way maintenance to invalidate
the L1 cache as that is required for ARMv7 to place the cache into
a known state, as stated by the architecture reference manual.

Arguably, that should be done by firmware, but when starting
secondary CPUs, there are platforms out there which do not bring
the L1 cache to a defined state. So we are pretty much stuck with
doing set/way operations during CPU initialisation in the main
kernel.

If ARMv8 decides that this is not supportable, then that's a matter
for ARMv8 to address without impacting the requirements of ARMv7.

FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!