KVM/arm64: Guest ABI changes do not appear rollback-safe

Andrew Jones drjones at redhat.com
Thu Aug 26 01:49:45 PDT 2021

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 11:14:59AM -0700, Oliver Upton wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 8:07 AM Andrew Jones <drjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 11:39:34AM +0100, Marc Zyngier wrote:

> > > The two are linked. Exposing a new register to userspace and/or guest
> > > result in the same thing: you can't rollback. That's specially true in
> > > the QEMU case, which *learns* from the kernel what registers are
> > > available, and doesn't maintain a fixed list.

> > > Any new system register that is exposed by a new kernel feature breaks
> > > rollback. And so far, we only consider it a bug if the set of exposed
> > > registers reduces. Anything can be added safely (as checked by one of
> > > the selftests added by Drew).
> > >
> > > < It doesn't have to be rollback safety, either. There may
> > >
> > > Fair enough. But this has to be done in a scalable way, which
> > > individual capability cannot provide.

> > > Well, you definitely achieved your goal of attracting my attention :).

> > > The whole point is that these settings get exposed by
> > > KVM_GET_REG_LIST, as this is QEMU's way to dump a VM state. Given that
> > > we already have this for things like the spectre management state, we
> > > can just as well expose the bitmaps that deal with the KVM-specific
> > > hypercalls. After all, this falls into the realm of "KVM as VM
> > > firmware".
> > >
> > > For ARM-architected hypercalls (TRNG, stolen time), we may need a
> > > similar extension.
> > >

> > Thanks for including me Marc. I think you've mentioned all the examples
> > of why we don't generally expect N+1 -> N migrations to work that I
> > can think of. While some of the examples like get-reg-list could
> > eventually be eliminated if we had CPU models to tighten our machine type
> > state, I think N+1 -> N migrations will always be best effort at most.
> >
> > I agree with giving userspace control over the exposer of the hypercalls
> > though. Using pseudo-registers for that purpose rather than a pile of
> > CAPs also seems reasonable to me.
> >
> > And, while I don't think this patch is going to proceed, I thought I'd
> > point out that the opt-out approach doesn't help much with expanding
> > our migration support unless we require the VMM to be upgraded first.
> >
> > And, even then, the (N_kern, N+1_vmm) -> (N+1_kern, N_vmm) case won't
> > work as expected, since the source enforce opt-out, but the destination
> > won't.
>
> Right, there's going to need to be a fence in both kernel and VMM
> versions. Before the fence, you can't rollback with either component.
> Once on the other side of the fence, the user may freely migrate
> between kernel + VMM combinations.
>
> > Also, since the VMM doesn't key off the kernel version, for the
> > most part N+1 VMMs won't know when they're supposed to opt-out or not,
> > leaving it to the user to ensure they consider everything. opt-in
> > usually only needs the user to consider what machine type they want to
> > launch.
>
> Going the register route will implicitly require opt-out for all old
> [...]

I think we should model the pseudo-register approach off of x86's
CPUID approach. x86 has specific get/set ioctls for CPUIDs
(KVM_GET/SET_CPUID2), but I think we should get by with just
get/set-one-reg. However, it might be nice/necessary to have something
like x86's KVM_GET_SUPPORTED_CPUID which returns all the registers
at once as a bitmap and the set bits would inform userspace of what's
supported by the hardware and KVM.

So a new ioctl similar to KVM_GET_SUPPORTED_CPUID would be your
first bitmap that shows what's supported and then userpace can
determine what it wants to change and calculate the appropriate
pseudo-registers to set/clear bits on with set-one-reg, as x86
would do with kvm-set-cpuid2.

Thanks,
drew