Removed MTE function

Derrick McKee derrick.mckee at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 18:58:27 BST 2021

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 8:34 AM Catalin Marinas <catalin.marinas at arm.com> wrote:

> It was added in commit 85f49cae4dfc ("arm64: mte: add in-kernel MTE
> helpers") in 5.11 but moved out of mte.S by commit 2cb34276427a ("arm64:
> kasan: simplify and inline MTE functions") in 5.12 and renamed to
> mte_set_mem_tag_range(). Unfortunately, that commit did not delete the
> old function prototypes in mte.h. I'll clean it up next week, unless
> someone beats me to it with a patch.

Ahh, ok, thanks for the information.

> What do you need this function for? It's supposed to be used only by
> kasan, hence moved to mte-kasan.h.

I am working on a research prototype attempting to harden kernel
modules using a combination of MTE and PAC.  I'd actually be
interested in hearing how KASAN handles dynamic percpu allocations,
because that's been a challenge for me in this project.

--
Derrick McKee
Phone: (703) 957-9362
Email: derrick.mckee at gmail.com