Mailing list about low levels of Linux on cellphones

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Sep 9 02:29:32 EDT 2020

Hi Pavel,

> Am 09.09.2020 um 00:56 schrieb Pavel Machek <pavel at ucw.cz>:
>
> Hi!
>
> It seems there is quite a lot of efforts porting kernel to various
> cellphones.

Yes, and it is sisyphos work to get it 100% into mainline... Most
projects I know about are at 99,5%.

> Librem 5 and PinePhone have their own hardware, people around Maemo
> Leste work with Nokia N900 and Droid 4, there's group working with
> Sony cellphones, there are postmarketOS people and there are probably
> groups I don't know about.

And there is Openmoko and successors (GTA04, Pyra, GTA15).

> I believe some coordination would be useful, so we end up with
> compatible solutions for various problems.

IMHO the main problem we all share is power management.

> It would be also good to know how ther hardware is progressing. I'd
> really like to have phone I could use as a _phone_, running mainline
> kernel. So far N900 with original Maemo is closest I could get.
>
> Would it be possible to create a mailing list on vger.kernel.org?

Hm. My experience with asking for creating an openpvrsgx mailing list
at vger.kernel.org was like asking the sun to shine during night.

In the end we did set up our own mailing list and github project:

https://github.com/openpvrsgx-devgroup/linux_openpvrsgx

What I can offer is to run a similar list. You may remember that
OpenPhoenux was the continuation of the OpenMoko community mailing lists
having the same focus as you describe above.

> Probably phones@ or phone-devel@? I believe it would be useful to
> cover hardware-dependend pieces of the phone stack (ofono,
> modemmanager) as well as kernel.

I am fine with either.

BR,
Nikolaus